The Binocular Site
John E. Riutta BiographyJohn E. Riutta is a professional writer specializing in bird watching and other nature-related subjects. A regular contributor to both Bird Watcher's Digest and Backyard Bird News, his work has also appeared in WildBird, Backyard Birding, and select online publications.
An active blogger, John maintains his own blog named Born Again Bird Watcher and writes as a member of the Nature Blog Network blog team. He holds two advanced academic degrees (M.A., Education and an M.B.A.) and is an active member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America, the National Book Critics Circle, the Garden Writers of America, and the North American Nature Photography Association.
Formerly head of the observation market development group for Leupold & Stevens, Inc., John spent the previous decade developing binoculars and spotting scopes for outdoor enthusiasts from bird watchers to hunters and everyone in between. Among the dozens of products he and his team brought to market during this period was the Yosemite binocular, the first and still only binocular designed specifically for children. He still "keeps his hand in" the business side of the natural history world by advising firms and organizations through his consulting company Born Again Bird Watcher LLC.
- The Joy of Uncommonly Common Birds
- The Enduring Importance of the Bird Club
- A Parent’s Guide to Choosing Binoculars for Children
- The Best Binoculars for Under $100.00
- Mid-range Binoculars: Balancing Performance and Value
- Don’t Leave Home without One – Optical Options for the Traveler
- Binoculars and Eyeglasses – Compatibility is Possible
- Binoculars for Harsh Environments - When the Going Gets Tough, Well Designed Optics Keep Going
- Birding Isn’t Always Pretty
- A Look into Binocular Lens Coatings
- The Power of Porros
- Binoculars For Nearly Every Occasion
- Getting Started with Digiscoping
- Capturing The Moment With Digital Camera Binoculars